Thursday, December 3, 2009

Chef at Home

            


Michael Smith is the host of cooking show Chef at Home which is hands down one of my favorite cooking shows. He is always experimenting with different flavors and really encourages his viewers to make modifications and try new things on their own. I myself am not very good at following recipes religiously, I like to play around and add create a dinner without my nose in a book. Recently I have discovered Chef at Home actually airs during my lunchtime workout so I can be deliciously inspired while huffing away on the elliptical (having the Victoria Secret fashion show on during my workout would probably increase my productivity much more!)

The dish above was what I made last night inspired by Michael Smith with my own a simple yam addition. I make yams alot since they taste so good and are packed with vitamin B6 and potassium which help reduce the risk of heart disease and control blood pressure. I simply wash, slice, layout on pan, brush with olive oil, season and broil in the toaster oven for about 45mins. They should always be the first thing to get going since they take so long and by doing them in the toaster oven you can save energy & $$ :) 


Fennel Apple Salad

Yield: 4

Ingredients

For the Vinaigrette:

  • 2 granny smith apples, quartered and cored.
  • 1 cup of cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 heaping tbsp of Dijon mustard
  • 1 cup of olive oil
  • Salt and pepper

For the Salad:

  • 1 bulb of fresh fennel, sliced thinly and fronds reserved
  • 1 granny smith apple, sliced thinly

Directions

For the Vinaigrette:

To make the vinaigrette, place 2 granny smith apples, cider vinegar, brown sugar and mustard in a small saucepan and cook until soft. Puree with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

For the Salad:

Put the sliced fennel, fennel fronds and sliced granny smith apple in a large salad bowl and toss with a few spoonfuls of the warm apple vinaigrette.



Pot Steamed Salmon

* I used wild Coho salmon since it has a milder flavor than Sockeye. I also cooked with the skin on since it retains more flavor that way. 








Yield: 2

Ingredients

  • 2x6 ounce filets of fresh salmon, skin removed
  • 2 cups of orange juice
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons of capers
  • Salt and pepper

Directions

  1. Bring orange juice to a hearty simmer. Add chopped onions, olive oil and capers and let simmer for 5 minutes until the mixture reduces by at least half. Add salmon and season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and steam for five minutes.
















No comments:

Post a Comment